Port Orchard

Published on February 27th, 2016 | by The Kitsap Scene

0

Fire Marshal: Deadly Port Orchard Home Explosion Caused by Propane Tank

A propane tank was responsible for the home explosion near Port Orchard that killed two people on Tuesday, according to an investigation by the Kitsap County Fire Marshal Office.

The explosion, which took place in the 3500 block of Southeast Soholt Lane, took the lives of homeowners William and Maria McDonald.

“Initial conclusions indicate that a leak of propane from gas piping on the East side of the home allowed gas to accumulate under and within the residence throughout the evening and early morning hours,” the fire marshal office said in a statement. “At approximately 4:00 a.m. on Tuesday morning the concentration of propane reached its explosive limit and was ignited by an as yet unidentified source. The subsequent explosion destroyed the home and ignited a fire in the remaining debris and attached garage and storage structures. The fire marshal has secured a number of items including gas piping, valves and regulators for further examination.”

Anyone who discovers personal items belonging to the McDonalds, or who may have suffered damage to their home or property in the blast, is asked to contact the fire marshal’s office at 360-337-5777.


About the Author

The Kitsap Scene is an online news magazine covering everything in Kitsap County.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to Top ↑