Published on October 14th, 2015 | by The Kitsap Scene0
Kitsap County promotes domestic violence awareness program
October is national domestic violence awareness month, and the Kitsap County Domestic Violence Task Force, in conjunction with the YWCA of Kitsap County, is holding a public program on Thursday in an effort to eliminate domestic violence and better support victims.
The program will highlight how various agencies are working collectively to end domestic violence, according to a press release from the county.
The event is noon to 1:30 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 15 in front of the Kitsap County Administrative Building at 619 Division Street in Port Orchard.
The event will feature freestanding “silent witnesses” who represent domestic violence homicide victims who lost their lives in Kitsap County. A shield on their chests will tell their story.
Speakers at the event include:
· Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office: Sheriff Gary Simpson
· Kitsap Board of County Commissioners: Commissioner Rob Gelder
· Kitsap County Superior Court: The Honorable Sally Olsen, Superior Court Judge
· Kitsap County Prosecutor’s Office: Ms. Tina Robinson, Kitsap County Prosecuting Attorney
· Naval Base Kitsap: Ms. Britt Feldman, Installation Program Manager, Fleet and Family Support Center
· YWCA: Ms. Denise Frey, Executive Director of the YWCA of Kitsap County